GLOBOCAN aims to provide contemporary estimates of the incidence of, mortality and prevalence from major type of cancers, at national level, for 184 countries of the world. The GLOBOCAN estimates are presented for 2008, separately for each sex and, for incidence and mortality data, for ten age groups. 1-, 3- and 5-year prevalence data are available for the adult population only (ages 15 and over). Please note that:These estimates are based on the most recent data available at IARC and on information publically available on the Internet, but more recent figures may be available directly from local sources.Because the sources of data are continuously improving in quality and extent, estimates may not be truly comparable overtime and care should be taken when comparing these estimates with those published earlier. The observed differences may be the result of a change in the methodology and should not be interpreted as a time trend effect.
- Before you start using GLOBOCAN, we recommend that you first read the section Data sources and methods.
- For a quick access to a summary of the burden of cancer in a country or for a cancer, use the FACT SHEETS option. Fact Sheets are a collection of statistical summaries for the eight most common cancer types or for each country or region of the world. They were developed to provide a quick overview of frequently-requested cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence statistics.
- If you want to perform simple analysis or create your own graphs using GLOBOCAN data, use the ONLINE ANALYSIS menu options.
- The material extracted from this website is in the public domain. You may use it "as is" but must cite the corresponding reference.
- The Section of Cancer Information (CIN) at IARC reserves the right to update or change information contained in the database at any time, and then is not responsible for information resulting from the use of hyperlinks to external providers.
- IARC has proprietary rights to the materials on the Website. Systematic retrieval of data to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, database or directory without written permission from IARC is prohibited.