Communications and Social Media Specialist
Reports to: Head of Communications, Marketing and Web
"We unite the cancer community to reduce the global cancer burden, to promote greater equity, and to integrate cancer control into the world health and development agenda." The Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) unites the cancer community to reduce the global cancer burden, to promote greater equity, and to integrate cancer control into the world health and development agenda. UICC is the largest cancer-fighting organisation of its kind, with over 800 member organisations across 155 countries representing the world's major cancer societies, ministries of health, research institutes, treatment centres and patient groups. UICC is dedicated to continuing to work with world leaders to increase their support for cancer control measures, and encourage accountability for the cancer commitments made in the UN Political Declaration on NCDs. UICC uses key convening opportunities like the World Cancer Leaders' Summit, World Cancer Congress and World Cancer Day for continued focus on:
- Developing specific time-bound targets and indicators to measure the national implementation of policies and approaches to prevent and control cancer
- Raising the priority accorded to cancer in the global health and development agenda
- Promoting a global response to cancer UICC and its multisectoral partners are committed to encouraging governments to look towards the implementation and scale-up of quality and sustainable programmes that address the global burden of cancer and other NCDs.
UICC is also a founding member of the NCD Alliance, a global civil society network that now represents almost 2,000 organisations in 170 countries.
Summary of position:
The Communications, and Social Media Specialist is an experienced professional who will help develop, coordinate and ensure the successful development and delivery of the communications, brand and online strategy of the organisation. The Communications and Social Media Specialist will be a key part of the Communications, Marketing & Web team, with a special focus on content development and social media management. They will work in close collaboration with the other UICC teams (Advocacy, Congress, Programmes, Members and Partners) to develop and drive the organisation’s messaging internally and externally.
Responsibilities may include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Draft the organisation’s communications collateral, including key messages, press releases, member advisories, speeches, letters and/or documents for internal/external use as required
- Compile, draft and/or edit media and/or project reports for key internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute dynamic and enticing social media messages, e-newsletter and web article content and marketing copy
- Editorial style: provide assistance in the implementation of the in-house UICC editorial style guide and ensure that it is applied consistently
- English-language assistance: provide help to colleagues in preparing important documents in English, proofing and editing as required Social Media and Web
- Implement and manage UICC’s social media and online communications strategy with a view to growth and further development
- Manage and develop the organisation’s content calendar in collaboration with UICC members, partners and stakeholders
- Coordinate with the other UICC teams in regards to news stories/events to be promoted through social media and the websites
- Develop a strong and active presence on social media, through interactions with members/partners/supporters/fans/followers, sharing content and disseminating UICC’s key advocacy messages, etc.
- Monitoring key web and social media analytic tools
- Bachelor’s degree in an area relevant to the job description e.g. communications, marketing, international relations, public health, etc.
- Minimum 3 years work experience working in a related field, NGO or membership organisation
- Strong working knowledge of and experience with various social media technologies and platforms (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc)
- Fluent in English (written and spoken); French and/or Spanish are a plus
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills including ability to synthesise complex material accurately
- Self-starter and fast learner
- Strong team player
- Interest in international public health issues
- Experience and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
- Holds or is eligible for a Swiss work permit.
Please submit a send a recent – but short – Curriculum Vitae and a motivation letter to Jeannette Nyandwi at email@example.com.
Closing date of application: 15 April 2015. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please see 'Other Opportunities' for job openings within our members organisations.